Project financed by the “Neustart Kultur” program – (Bundesministerium für Kunst und Kultur) in 2022.
Website of the Ottosonics project in Alter Bauhof
OTTOsonics is a collective project by sounds-artists, developers, scholars and sound engineers working on accessible audio technologies for immersive sound creation. Putting the focus on the needs of performance artists as well as non-specialized cultural and educational institutions, our objective is facilitating the use of immersive audio. Currently Ottosonics is based in Ottensheim (Austria) and collaborates with the Tangible Music Lab, University of the Arts Linz.
OTTOsonics is an open platform for artists to address barriers to incorporating immersive sounds in all disciplines of arts and performances, to exchange technical and creative methods from production to implementation, and to share artistic and technological know-how across the field of acoustic and electronic music.
OTTOsonics offers residency programs, concerts, lectures, workshops and a festival!
Call 2023: OTTOsonics Residency program Edition II: interactive sound installation
- Residency: 9-15 May 2022
- Residency: 6-12 June 2022
- Residency: 12-17 September 2022
- Festival:17- 18 September 2022
- Residency: 24-30 October 2022
- Alter Bauhof:
- 36-channel dome (10 at -30°, 10 at 0°, 10 at 30°, 5 at 60°, 1 at 90°, 6m diameter, 3 studio subwoofers)
- 22-channel rectangle with 4 speakers/channel (10x12m, 6x 18″subs)
- 20-channel ceiling speakers (4 x 5 grid)
- 4x line array with 6 speakers
- Tangible Music Lab:
- A 23.1 speakers dome: 2.5 meters radius: 12 speakers at 0°, 6 speakers at 33°, 4 speakers at 52°, 1 speaker at 90° plus 1 subwoofer.
- DodekaOTTO: a 20.1 speakers rig on a 3.5 meters dodecahedron (3D). Speakers on the joints (in progress, release in Spring 2023)
AVB Volume Controller
At our AVB system we missed a native volume controller so we programmed one using a ESP32. Everything we did is explained at this github page. If you want to 3D print the enclosure the STL files are also here.
Ambisonics Room IR
Calculate an ambisonics room impulse (4 channels or more) response with our python code: https://github.com/ultranoise/IR-multichannel
Activities and deliverables:
- Residency by Marian Gviniashvili
- Lecture by Mariam Gviniashvili at the Tangible Music Lab.
- Ottosonics 3D-printed speaker design https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5398696
- Tutorial on how to develop DIY controllers for the open source audio network protocol AVB: https://github.com/ultranoise/MOTU_AVB_ESP32_Controller
- Residency by Ida Hiršenfelder
- Lecture by Ida Hiršenfelder at the Tangible Music Lab.
- Presentation and Workshop at Ars Electronica Festival 2022
- Residency by Stefan Juster & Robert Schwarz
- Festival Ottosonics
- Residency Amélie Niles
- Lecture by Amélie Niles at the Tangible Music Lab
- Prof. Martin Kaltenbrunner presents the Tangible Music Lab and Ottosonics at a masterclass in TU Praha (9.12.2022).
- Ottosonics Meetups monthly since October 2022 and ongoing!